Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Have you ever had stitchers remorse?

Now friends, I admit I do get stitchers remorse, and I do some dumb things. I just had a case of it this weekend as I was poised to start “Quakers & Quilts” . All my fibers were bagged and tagged on my floss ring, I had my big piece of 40-ct linen serged and pressed, the DVD was going, I had my Diet Coke handy, the needle was threaded and poised……..and then……….I saw the vast expanse of blank linen. OMG. I realized how big this project is and how in the world am I ever going to get it done with all of my other WIPs?? Do you have these kind of thoughts? I dived in anyway and got started but I know it’s going to be a long haul.. Then right off I didn’t like the thread I stitched the first part with. It’s Belle Soie Cranberry and it’s so very dark- I’ll leave it in for now but I may end up replacing that with a varigated red that isn’t so dark. I moved on to a pink motif and started feeling better – maybe it was momentary BAP-panic?

So then yesterday I went out to purchase a couple of threads I needed and I went to a local shop I haven’t been to in a long time. This shop used to sell both needlepoint and cross-stitch supplies, but they phased out the cross-stitching about 2 yrs ago and replaced it with knitting. (darn knitters…..LOL) They still have a huge selection of fibers though so I really ought to go back more often. Anyway, while I was there I see they had a little bin of old leftover cross-stich patterns marked way down – 50 cents for most of them. Now here’s where more stitchers remorse comes into play. In it I find a copy of Paula Vaughan’s 'Summers Remembered' pattern for 50 cents. I had these 2 pieces stitched and up in my bedroom in the late 80’s before I got married. I never was completely happy with the framing but for some crazy reason I got rid of them when I got married and moved to Arizona in 1991. I don’t even remember what I did with them but in recent years I really regretted letting them go. I could’ve had them remounted and reframed and now I’m just wondering what was I thinking?!? I don’t do a lot of Paula Vaughan patterns but I do love her quilt-themed ones and these were so nice. Plus, these were part of my “stitching history” and they were a lot of work (oh I can still recall all that backstitching!) So I bought the pattern since I no longer had my original one, and in the back of my mind I’m thinking that maybe someday I will stitch them again. (picture me rolling on the floor laughing right now) Well you never know!

Then after I grab the Paula Vaughn pattern, I see a copy of Blackbird Designs ‘Pumpkin Blossom Needlecase” in the bin also for 50 cents! Bear with me please – another story. I had this pattern back when it came out in 2003 – and I stitched it. I wasn’t that happy with the colors for some reason, and then when I went to finish it into the needlecase I screwed something up and ended up throwing the whole thing in the trash. I didn’t like the finishing instructions and I was just disgusted so not only did the project get tossed, but I THREW THE PATTERN AWAY! Now of course it’s selling for big money on eBay (I’ve considered it but couldn’t justify the expense), and I’ve seen gorgeous finishes of this pattern especially when done over-1. I am my own worst enemy sometimes! Not to mention I have most of the Loose Feathers patterns since they started and this was a missing one in my collection. The good news is I was able to retrieve these 2 patterns from my past for only $1.00. I think it was meant to be. And I’m determined to restitch the Pumpkin Blossom needlecase and this time it’s going to be great! I also picked up a cute little sampler pattern below for another 50 cents – never have seen it or heard of the designer but I like it and you can’t beat the price. I think it must be very old as it calls for DMC flower thread and I’m not even sure that it’s made anymore (not that I’d use it anyway).


Thank you readers for visiting with me today. I’m plodding along with Quakers & Quilts after getting over my initial angst. I did finish My Quaker Lady before starting Q&Q – here she is and I’m quite pleased with her. I love the petite nature of this – the whole sampler measures only 7.5” square since I stitched her on 40-ct linen


25 comments:

  1. I love your stitching history stories! 50 cents is a great deal.

    Your My Quaker Lady is just gorgeous. A beautiful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bargain bin must have been a real treasure bin. I think I would have emptied it completely, lol.
    No, I never have BAP panic, lol. I love the big projects and every now and then I start a new one and enjoy it although I know that it will take me years to complete it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having done Quakers and Quilts...(its still not framed..grrr..) I can relate to that expanse of fabric feeling!~ It was however a really great piece to do!~~ Now, I used to love love love Kingsland samplers and still do for that matter...I need now to dig deep and pull some out of my file cabinet and reflect back..might even redo one!!! Thanks for the story....Faye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having done Quakers and Quilts...(its still not framed..grrr..) I can relate to that expanse of fabric feeling!~ It was however a really great piece to do!~~ Now, I used to love love love Kingsland samplers and still do for that matter...I need now to dig deep and pull some out of my file cabinet and reflect back..might even redo one!!! Thanks for the story....Faye

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL!! BAP-panic!! I can totally relate! I think all of your finds are awesome and if you restitch those Paula Vaughns I will be in awe of you for LIFE!!! LOL!
    Love you Quaker Lady, I also bought this and the gentleman pattern to go with it. HA! If I ever get around to them it will be some kind of miracle. But I do love how small they are on 40ct too!
    I'm still in love with you P & P neighborhood, just had to say! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanne - I know just where you're coming from with the stitcher's remorse. I had my hands a kit years ago and gave it away and didn't even think to make a copy of the chart! UGH. Now it's as popular as ever and I didn't have it. Thank goodness some kindhearted person sent me a copy. So now I don't get rid of anything. MY DH says that the whole house is going to go up in flames because of all the patterns, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

    Love your Quaker Lady and don't worry about you're new project being so big. You'll get it finished some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your stitching time sounds cozy, I like to listen to audiobooks too. You'll finish! Lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah! When I thought I could stitch "And They Sinned" on 40 ct. with a 9 month old, 4 year old and 6 year old running around (well the 9 month old crawling around). :) I still want to stitch it one day. Maybe when the kids are in college! :) Great bargain stash finds! :) Your My Lady's Quaker turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so anxious to see a pic of Q&Q. So how big will it be on 40 ct? Stitcher's remorse - happens all the time, especially when starting a BAP. I am forever second guessing my colour choices.

    Oh - what great buys in that bargain bin. Any chance there was another Pumpkin Needlecase chart in that bin?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeanne - i loved your funny stories about finding and re-buying tossed patterns. The Q&Q didn't suck me in but the Quaker Diamonds does interest me and I understand from a friend its done with the same valdani colors W&W uses which I have been anxious to try - I presume you converted to silks. I think your progress looks great! Mel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those bargan finds :-).

    Your Quaker piece is gorgeous too. Can't wait to see your progress on your new BAP.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohoo! Congrats on finishing up your Quaker Lady. I love the colors that you chose for it.

    Stitchers remorse?! Oh yeah. Kind of like how your eyes are too big for your stomach type thing, but more that your stitching dreams are bigger than your time! LOL

    Great bargain finds!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've definitely been afflicted with stitcher's remorse. On a few occasions, while going through my stash, a sad and guilty feeling sets in. I think part of it is the realization that I have more projects than I'll ever be able to finish in my lifetime. And yet I know I'll continue to accumulate more, because those darn designers keep coming up with wonderful new designs. Then I realized that I shouldn't go through stash during *that* time of the month...it's just too emotional :^)

    Speaking of stash, if you wanted to stitch "Stag's Leap" in flower thread, Dutch Treat still sells most of the colors. The URL is http://www.dutchtreat.com/cgi/online.pl?tab=2&category=Flower%20Thread . I have no affiliation with the owner. Our guild was given a tour of the her house earlier this year and in her storage area, you could see she had a vast assortment of the DMC flower thread still available.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quaker lady is looking gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  15. love your history with the patterns! great finish on Quaker Lady, i still have to get moving on mine. i think i am going to pull the threads out and go with a different color theme though.

    Which shop did you go to? i might have to go check it out. Any other Blackbird designs there?

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your history with the patterns! great finish on Quaker Lady, i still have to get moving on mine. i think i am going to pull the threads out and go with a different color theme though.

    Which shop did you go to? i might have to go check it out. Any other Blackbird designs there?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blog looks so beautiful!!! I loved reading the story of your replacement of 2 old charts from your past. That was so interesting. I am so glad you found them again, and for 50 cents!! So cool. The other pattern you found is just so great! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great bargains!!

    We'll just have to support each other in the Q & Q SAL we have going on Legacy. I am using a 28 ct fabric which I haven't used in quite a few years. The holes seem huge! I'm not loving the first Valdani color I used either, but I'll wait to see a bit more before I decide on changing it or not.

    Congratulations on finishing Quaker Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stitchers remorse ~ Can you say "HAED" X 2??? Yes, I had high hopes of completing Wintery Heiloom AND one of the Halloween ones. Can you say "CRAZY"? :D

    Love your Quaker Lady, have that one but have not started.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I stitched one of the two Summers Remembered pieces and still have it sitting unframed but not unloved. I love the PV charts but they are hard work. In fact, next year I am starting a quilting and stitching project of hers. It will go with a long story as to why I am doing it. I planned it already to start on New Year's eve. I hope you will look on my blog then for the story.

    I know we all do things that we think later, why??? I am glad you were able to find the patterns again and at such a great bargain.

    The Quaker Lady is just beautiful!

    Hugs ~
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your finish, its beautiful! Hmmm don't think I ever get stitcher's remorse. I get stitcher's stress when I realize how many projects I have on the go and feel its too many! But then I just put my head down and start finshing them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loved your "Stitcher's Remorse" story. I can relate! And I, for one, love finding a hard-to-find pattern in the clearance bin, and knowing how long I had to look to find BD "Pumpkin Blossom Needle Case," I'd say you did VERY well for yourself. (P.S. I'm stitching that one now!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. omg....you had me laughing. What luck finding older designs at such a steal and I can definitely identify with the remorse part. However, I have done a few PV and can't believe you gave those away. I think I will be buried with mine due to all of the backstitching!

    Your work is beautiful and you do stitch "big" stuff....can't wait to see what else you do.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, your quaker lady is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. HI Jeanne, What a read! I enjoyed every word! You are quite the stitcher you know. You do get a lot done, though I think you have so much going that sometimes (like me) you feel like you don't get much done. In this current blog you really got a lot out of your UFO status into the Finished Column, so that's good. More incentive to keep moving along. I loved seeing y our updated photos on your WIPs in progress -- they are all beautiful and we have a couple in common. Are you Stitching the Stag design you have showing in your latest blog update? Nice. I have that too, but not stitched. I also loved your Quaker Lady, hadn't seen that one actually. But I have been sort of out of the loop for a while. Your quilts are lovely!!! Oh the Christmas one....that one is really nice. Now I have never quilted, but I want to learn, and I have never done applique, but I love the look, so I want to learn how to do that too. The pine cones and branches reminded me of Rog's marker -- it is bronze and has pine cones and branches on both sides at the top and a vase in the middle. I sure miss that fella! I can't believe you read 130 blogs!! When do you find the time? I am going to check some of them out and I may do the same thing you did (list them) to have them where I can click on them easily and catch up. You sound like you are doing really well, and I am so happy for you. Be blessed!!! Cathy C

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - I love hearing from other stitchers and crafters. If you have any questions be sure to leave an email address if you don't have one in your blogger profile so I can contact you. I appreciate your visit! (I've had to turn off allowing anonymous comments due to spammers)