Thursday, October 28, 2010

Taking a break.....

Well here it is Halloween already! Hope you have your candy ready for the trick-or-treaters (I admit I've sneaked in one of the bags and eaten a few Snickers...).
Today's rant:
If any of you don't want to read my rants about JoAnn's you can scroll on past this part...but that place really gets me annoyed! They are always playing coupon games....like putting things at 10% off so you can't use your 40% or 50% off coupons. They used to let you use the coupons against the regular price of things if it worked out better than the sale price but now they don't let you do that either. The lines at the JoAnn's nearest to me are always terribly long and you're lucky if you can find a sales clerk to help you with anything. I recently took this little piece to get framed. I was trying to be economical so I stretched and mounted the needlework myself then took it in with a 60% off coupon for the framing. The price was good - no complaints about that. I asked for spacers and museum-quality glass like I always do. When I got it back I noticed the bottom of my piece looked a little crooked - my fault likely as I'm still trying to get better with mounting the needlework. I thought no big deal - I'll take the paper off of the back, fix the bottom part of the needlework and then put it back together and put new paper on the back.


"Captain's Inn" by Little House Needleworks
Stitched on 32-ct Pewter Lugana with Crescent Colours threads

When I opened up the back I noticed they didn't secure the needlework with any push-points or staples to hold it into the frame, and there was no spacers on the glass. This isn't a fancy heirloom piece, but spacers are inexpensive and they keep your needlework from pressing up against the glass. Anyway, I fixed the part on the needlework I wanted to be straighter and then I took it back to JoAnn's to complain about the other work. I couldn't find my receipt at home but it had only been 2 weeks so I figured they could look up my order in the computer there. Well 3 employees tried and had no idea how to find the order. Then they told me they could give me the spacers and staples to secure the needlework for free but they'd have to charge me for the labor to put them in! Can you believe it? I was trying not to get too angry...so finally I said just cut the plastic spacers and give them to me and I'll put it all back together myself. This is what aggravates me about them - I don't like taking my needlework there because I can't trust them to give me what I've asked for. If I hadn't opened it up I never would've known. I am positive I asked for the spacers and it was written on the order because I always get them. So as I'm leaving the framing clerk tells me "remember next time to ask for the spacers when you drop off the piece". I decided no response was best and just left. SIGH...can't anyone do things right anymore?? I feel like writing a letter to the store manager but it's probably a waste of time. I wonder if I even got the museum glass I asked for but I have no way of knowing. I remember years ago I went to reframe a little stitched piece that Michael's had framed for me. When I opened it up the needlework had never been mounted at all - they had just folded the sides under and laid it in there on the glass! I guess from now on I'll do it myself or take it somewhere I trust. Anyway, I do like the frame and I'm happy now that I finished it. Here's a closeup of one of the corners:

and other news:

I have to take a break from stitching and quilting for a bit. Sniff sniff.....I'm a little depressed about it. I'm having orthopedic surgery tomorrow morning on my right shoulder and since I'm right-handed, I won't be able to stitch or sew for at least 6 weeks. It all depends on what they find to correct when they get in there. I have bone spurs and if there's a tear in my rotator cuff the recovery could be even longer. I don't know how I'll survive without stitching! I guess I'll do more reading and maybe I'll kit up several small things for next year and play around in my stash. I have so many projects crying for attention - I'd like to get several smaller things done next year instead of starting more big projects. I'm taking at least a week off from work and then I can work from home for several weeks until I am cleared to drive again. My job is on a computer all day so it'll be slow typing with just my left hand. I'll still be visiting blogs and making lots of plans though! I had my left shoulder done 3 years ago (same problem) so I know what to expect. It won't be fun but at least when it's all over I won't be in pain all the time.
Have a great Halloween everyone and thank you so much for stopping by. I read every single comment and I appreciate all your kind compliments on my Goode Huswife finish! (You can bet it won't be going to JoAnn's for the framing!)

35 comments:

  1. I love your piece and the frame! But yes, I wouldn't trust JoAnn's if you threw a stick at it. Geez! What idiots!

    I hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly. A forced break -- what a bummer! Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, poor you! Take care and good luck with your surgery! You can always play with the stash or clean and organize it!

    Be careful with that shoulder!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about JoAnn's...i had my rant last week about them on Facebook..still bitter.
    Your stitching is beautiful and I do like the frame that you picked.
    Good luck with the surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:36 PM

    I had rotator cuff surgery last year to repair a very bad tear. i was aloud to stitch with my arm supported in a pillow. I finished alot of things last fall. Good luck I love your finish. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, Joann's. I worked there for about 9 months in between jobs. Poor upper level management, overworked and undertrained employees, and a "no we can't" attitude towards customers make for bad business. I did get a price match the other day on a lamp that was half off in the store and on their website, but the regular price of the lamp was $30 more in the store! One of the employees was able to find it on her computer and she gave me the internet price. They were crazy about keeping tabs on the employees and we couldn't leave anything in our lockers. The break room was basically a closet and the bathroom was gross. At times, we didn't even have heat because the furnace keep going out and they wouldn't replace it. This store may end up moving soon because their building has been bought but I wonder if they will pony up to pay a higher rent. It would be a shame if they close though because it is the only place in town to buy fabric (besides Walmart) though there are lots of places around if you don't mind driving a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Google joann's and find officers' info and write the letters to them--the manager has nothing to lose, but the officers have to report to the shareholders, and send a copy of your blog post too. Sometimes you have to hurt their pockets to get their attention. They know that all they really have to offer any more is customer service, and you did not get it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorrie to hear about your framing experience. Still, the frame you picked looks lovely. And your stitching perfect! Hope your surgery went well and you'll be stitching again in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The twits!! Hearing what you went thru with your beautiful piece is annoying . Especially when we stitchers put so much into our stitching. Let us know how the surgery goes. Good wishes coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry that you had so much trouble. I have done some of my own too but I am not that good at it.
    I am thinking of taking a few classes so I can be happy with it when I am done,,,,blessings, Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope the surgery goes well and the recovery is quick. I know what you mean about joanne's. You should get what you paid for. Shame on them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That stinks! I haven`t been to Joanns here, but was going to look them up. Don`t think i`ll bother...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good rant! :0) Your stitched piece looks beautiful. Take care after your surgery and count those days until you can stitch again! Hope you have some good books to read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10:23 PM

    It's so hard finding a good framer!! Despite all your troubles the frame you chose does look beautiful!! Fingers crossed for a successful surgery and a very speedy recovery!! Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have my sympathies . We use a great framer , and I'm dreading having to go somewhere else if he stops doing it.
    Hope the surgery goes well . Stock up on new stash to keep you going !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, if it's any consolation, the frame is wonderful! After trying one or two non-LNS places, I only take my needlework to the LNS for framing. It's more expensive but I know that they know what they're doing. It sounds as if the problems you had, though, are bad customer service, not getting services that you PAID for, in addition to them not being knowledgeable about framing needlework. As another commenter said, I would find out where to send letters to the corporate office and then do CCs of the letter to a lot of people. It might get to somebody who cares. I realize they're a big chain but they should have better customer service. The mistake shouldn't have been made in the first place, but once the customer discovered their ineptitude, they should have bent over backwards to ensure that you were happy with a resolution.

    Good luck with the surgery! I hope the recovery goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jeanne, do love the frame you picked, but framing needlework can be a bit touchy - expensive with a good frame shop - but the way to go if you do not have a LNS that does framing.

    Joann's is not the best fabric store in the country, but it is the only game in town along with Walmart and we have a Hancock store which is yuck!!

    Hope all goes well with your surgery, maybe after a few weeks you can stitch with a pillow under your arm - that is what a friend was able to do. just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so glad that I have a good framer here. Your piece looks beautiful even though you had problems. I'd have been livid too!

    Good luck for your surgery {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry about your problems with Joann's. I will think twice before I take something there to be framed. I try to buy frames and do it myself... to save $$. If I ever hit the lottery, I swear, one thing I want to do is take all these unframed stitched pieces to be framed somewhere...!! lol.

    Also, sorry to hear about your upcoming surgery and enforced no stitching. Hope the time will go fast for you. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I took a piece to Joann's once - never again! I still need to get it fixed.

    Your piece is so cute! I love it!

    Good luck with the surgery!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jean I used to work for House of Fabrics and then they were bought out by Joann. The upper management was so horrible I had to quit. They treat their employees horribly. I think you should write a letter because it does make a difference, but send it to the regional manager if you want it to have any effect at all.
    Your piece does look nice. I always have them make the frame and then I do all the mounting myself. I don't trust them with my needlework-my mom had a piece LOST and never recovered from Joanns. :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry to hear about your experience with the framing. I had a piece to take yesterday after having lunch with a guy friend who I haven't known all that long. I mentioned I was going to take it to my framer since I was right at it before going home to finish working. His response was, "There's a Michael's right here, they do framing." Poor man, got "the lecture". I've just decided that if it's too large for me to do the work I'll pay to have it done where I know they do quality work and give me the materials I ask for that way I'm not upset. I would have ripped into them and then got their manager there along with calling the main offices. Bad customer service is something I won't tolerate.

    All that being said, your piece is beautiful and that frame is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous9:03 AM

    Sorry about your troubles with Jo-Ann's, the frame is wonderful though and perfect for the piece.

    Good luck with the surgery, I hope the time passes quickly for you - planning for next year's stitching sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is really too bad that you've had so much trouble with JoAnn's. Your frame and finished piece look beautiful in spite of it all.

    You poor thing! No stitching or sewing for 6 weeks...oh, and the whole surgery thing. Hope that everything goes well and that your recovery time flies by!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Its a beautiful piece. Sorry you had probs with the framing. Hope you recover quickly after the op. xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sorry to hear about the trouble you had at JoAnn's.. I love the frame and needlework though. I like shopping at joann's just because we don't have that kind of big craft stores here in Holland. But I only shop for supply's and not for framing orders.. And the shopping I do, is once every two years or so. I will think of you and burn a candle that everything goes well on your surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your framed piece, even though it was a major pain to get it right! Hope your surgery goes well and you recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sorry to hear about your poor experience with Joann's. I don't blame you at all for not going back. I doubt I would either!

    Good luck with your surgery and I hope you have a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so sorry you won't be able to stitch for several weeks. Hope you surgery goes well and you recover quickly!!!!

    I am so with you on Joann's! They must be the same everywhere so far as lines and poor customer service. I'd have had a hard time biting my tongue.

    Your finish is gorgeous glad you got everything put together correctly :-).

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jeanne, I hope your surgery went well and that you recover quickly and can get back to stitching!

    Ditto JoAnn's and their coupon games -- VERY irritating! I'm fortunate that I have a good framer who is a professional and knows what she's doing, so I don't have to take my stitching to JoAnn's or Michael's. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your little piece goes so perfectly with the frame you chose. But sorry for all the bad customer treatment they gave you.
    I hope surgery went well and you are already on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have found a great framer...but he charges a small fortune. So I have to save up my framing for a while before I can get anything done.

    Good luck with your surgery. I hope everything goes well and you heal very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Good luck with your surgery - and have fun playing with your stash - that's almost as good as stitching it up. Your piece is beautiful and I do like the detail in the frame...but would be frustrated with JoAnnes...and I know what you mean about the coupons - ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my gosh!! I think my head would have snapped off my neck when they asked for you to pay for them to fix it!! WHAT??!! I'd write a letter anyway. May not do any good, but maybe it will get to someone who cares. You're a loyal customer and they should give you a future discount!
    I really hope your surgery went well and you're recovering quickly and pain-free!! and maybe back to stitching soon:) gentle (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am way behind in reading blogs but wanted to comment that I hope you are doing well already into the recovery stage of your surgery. I hope it went well and you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - I love hearing from other stitchers and crafters. If you have any questions be sure to leave an email address if you don't have one in your blogger profile so I can contact you. I appreciate your visit! (I've had to turn off allowing anonymous comments due to spammers)