Hi everyone....thought I'd share with you a little do-it-yourself project I did last month. I've been collecting those Gingher designer embroidery scissors for years like so many of you but sadly they've just been stored in a box and not really on display. I know a lot of people have used lovely glass flower frogs and while I love those, I had too many scissors and would've had to buy several and I really don't know where I'd put them all.
Then one day while searching on Gingher scissors in Google I stumbled on a stitcher's blog and WOW she had a beautiful display! Let's give credit where credit is due - this is from a stitching blog called Periwinkle Ink. I never would've thought of this myself. It was just what I needed so I headed right off to eBay to see if I could find one of these vases. (If you search on "Southern Home vase" you will find them easily. I only paid $7.00-9.00 US for mine - the shipping was more than the vase). Luckily they are plentiful and easy to find. What I love is that it has 22 holes so can hold a lot of scissors! The only thing is they only come in butter yellow (even though some of the photographs on eBay look white - they aren't). It's a very pretty yellow mind you but just didn't go in my sewing room. Well I bought one anyway and then I started wondering if it was possible to paint it. Hmmmm...the wheels were turning..........
Thank goodness for all of those DIY blogs! I found a blog that explained how to paint pottery and so my little project was born. I marched off to Walmart to stock up on spray paint - white primer for a base coat then a white lacquer spray to go on top of that. I also got a can of Krylon clear coat for a sealer.
After many coats and a few booboos later I finally got it painted white. I'm not a master of spray painting - I tend to be too impatient and you have to give it several light coats and not let it drip etc. My sewing room is aqua and pink so I then got on my computer and played around to create a label as I thought the vase needed a little something. I created a label using a free graphic oval from the Graphics Fairy blog and Powerpoint, then added the pink color using Microsoft Paint. A graphic artist I'm not but I got it looking pretty good I think. Getting it to stay on the vase was a bit of a trial - I tried printing it on a clear label - wouldn't stick.....I tried printing it on a piece of waterslide decal paper purchased off eBay....what a nightmare that was! Another failure. Finally I just printed it on white label paper I use for shipping labels and right after I stuck it on the vase I gave it a coat of the spray clearcoat. So far it's staying put thankfully. Now I was almost done but I decided to buy a small piece of foam at Joann's and cut an oval to stick down in the vase. This holds the scissors up a bit so more of the pretty handles show and they don't slide down in the holes as much.
So here it is finally - 22 of my Ginghers on display finally in my sewing room! I'm really happy with it and have bought a couple more vases for "future growth" LOL. I still have 5 pairs of scissors that don't have a home yet so I'll be starting on painting another vase this weekend. Oh these addictions we have!