Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Frankly my dear....

Yes you may recognize my post title as part of Rhett Butler's famous last line from Gone With the Wind.   I'm happy because I'm going to see the movie tomorrow night at a local theatre!  They showed the movie at theatres around the U.S.  last Sunday and again tomorrow  Oct 1st as part of the 75th anniversary celebration of the movie. It's one of my favorites... even though it's nice to watch it at home on DVD it's not the same as on the big movie screen.  I've seen it in movie theatres every 10 years or so when it comes around...I remember going with friends to see it for the 50th anniversary back in 1989.  I can't get a decent photo of this framed piece below because I used regular glass on it but it's a favorite piece I stitched many years ago and hangs in my stitching room.


(This pattern is out of print but comes up on eBay now and then. 
It's "Scarlett O'Hara" by Charles Craft Designs.)
 
What else have I been doing?  Well for one thing I've been feeling sorry for myself seeing the massive number of finishes those Prim stitchers are posting on Facebook!   Some days I think am I the only one that has a job!  LOL   But I'm plugging away at my projects as I get the time.    Here's my progress on CCN's Frosty Forest.  I'm getting close - only 2 more blocks and the rest of the border to go!   I designed the border using a small motif from LHN's "Pinetop Lodge" - I worked with graph paper to make the design big enough and designed the corners.  I also modified block 7 (Snowgirls Cottage) to add a waterwheel and pond to it that I designed.  I thought this block as charted was too similar to block 3 (Snowmans Cottage) so I wanted it a little different.   (Note - sorry but I can't supply my charted changes to anyone because that would be an infringement to the designer's original chart).
 

 
 I also stitched up a little ornament that I now need to do the finishing for....I made one like this last year for an ornament exchange but wanted one for myself. 
 
Homespun Elegance - 2008 Santa ornament
(I modified the list to do the words in over-1
instead of backstitching)
 
And...I finally have a needlebook for myself!  I've been quilting and sewing and stitching for 30 years but never had anything nice to use for parking my needles. I've made them for other people but meanwhile here's what my needle storage looked like:  
 
Earlier this year I stitched Just Nan's "Beach Roses". I'd stitched it years ago and finished it as a biscornu for an exchange on Becky Bee's old SBEBB forum.  I decided to finish it this time as a needlebook so finally I can quit  using a scrap of batting for my needles.  :-)  By the way, does anyone know if Becky Bee is still cross-stitching?  I know she made her blog private now but I was just wondering.  She certainly contributed a lot to the online stitching community over the years.
 
 Front Cover....

 Inside view....
  
And that's what I've been doing lately.  Unfortunately we lost our dog Buster to cancer on Sept 19th.  He was starting to struggle too much and we just knew it was time.  We had tried chemotherapy but it didn't work and his prostate tumor was getting bigger.   My  husband and I spent an entire day with him doing all the things he loved before we took him on that final trip to the vet.  He swam and played in the pool, played ball, had McDonalds fries and a cheeseburger for lunch and even had ice cream with his 'sister' Abby.   We miss him of course and so does our other little dog....it's heartbreaking as so many of you know but he had a great life of 11 years we can look back on.   We'll never forget you buddy!
 

21 comments:

  1. Oh Jeanne! I am so sorry about Buster. I truly am.
    Your Scarlet is beautiful.
    What an improvement in needle storage!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Gone with the Wind and your Scarlett is just a beautiful reminder of the movie.

    Frosty Forest looks so pretty. The colors show up so well in that photo.

    Love your elegant needle case. You definitely deserved something better than the felt scrap!

    I know what you mean about the PSS stitchers. I think the 'P' stands for 'prolific' or 'productive'.

    So sorry about your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeanne, I'm so sorry for your loss of Buster.
    Lovely stitching as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Frosty Forest looks fabulous! I love what you did to the snowgirl's cottage.

    I am sorry your Buster has passed on.

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  5. My deepest condolences for your loss. Buster was a cutie, and you gave him a great life.

    That needlebook is just wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry about your Buster boy -- he looks like a happy fella. No doubt he was because you loved him so much.

    Have fun on your GWTW evening and with all your stitching -- love the water wheel !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry about your sweet fur baby. How heartbreaking for you. Lots of hugs.

    Love all your stitching! Love the Gone with the Wind piece -- so lovely! I don't know how people who work get any stitching done at all! I admire you for all you do with working in addition to the stitching and sewing. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so sorry to hear about your wee furbaby ... but you made his last day soo wonderful ... ((hugs)))
    love your changes to the charts and what a gorgeous needlebook you have made yourself ... all good things come to those that wait ..lol .
    hope you enjoyed your theatre night too :)
    love mouse xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun in the movie.
    I like the film, too.
    Your Scarlett looks great and the frame is perfect.
    Wonderful update on Frosty Forest.

    Greetings, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry for your loss. Buster was blessed with loving parents! Am I the only person my age that has not seen the movie? Probably! I need to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry about your buster, I know it is so hard to lose a friend.
    Your stitching is so beautiful .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry about your furry friend. I think your needlebook turned out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  13. so sorry about losing your friend and companion Jeanne. Always hard to say goodbye. I love the changes on your Frosty Forest - beautiful ! I'm right there with you on the "working" subject - I will be working till I die and I am just thankful I have a wonderful job and work for a wonderful 4th generation family owned company. I have many blessings with my job. Happy October ! Mel

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to read about your beloved Buster. We lost our Kenzie in June and our other pup Cody has just perked up in the last month. It's been very hard on all of us.

    I know what you mean by the plethora of finishes - I work too so the sentiment is familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some wonderful projects that you show here, Jeanne. Scarlett is looking so great and I love how you changed the block in Frosty Forest to your liking. It will be gorgeous with the border all around.

    You are certainly glad to finally own a needlebook. I know the situation all too well - it took me ages to make one for myself, all the others I made before were for exchanges and gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry about Buster. Our pets are part of our family and it's so hard when we lose them.

    Your Frosty Forest is looking amazing and your finishes are beautiful. I must look up that HE design!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so very sorry to read that Buster is no longer with you. What a beautiful dog who I am certain had a beautiful life with you and your family. Hugs to you.

    I have never seen Gone With the Wind…I know, can you believe that? You stitched piece is beautiful.

    CCN's Frosty Forest looks wonderful. I am thinking that it would be the perfect design for my home here in VT ~ Reading blogs always gets me adding to my "to stitch" list.

    Love the Santa ornament ~ just perfect for a stitcher!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jeanne, I got your email today but my email provider won't let me reply, something about a permanent error?! Glad you received your mail! I had forgotten about it until the package arrived. Hoping you'll catch this last comment! Lol. Maybe it's time for a new post from you?!

    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  19. One other thing-Didn't know Buster had died. I know some time has passed and it was probably not too easy at the time. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such gorgeous, gorgeous pieces!

    I am so sorry for the loss of Buster.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello - I've just found your blog - I was wandering around the internet looking for Jane Austen themed items and I saw a picture of your GORGEOUS Pride and Prejudice sampler! I couldn't pass through without telling you how wonderful I think it is. At the time, several people encouraged you to make a chart for sale - did you ever do that? I know several people (including myself, of course) who would love it, if you did!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - I love hearing from other stitchers and crafters. If you have any questions be sure to leave an email address if you don't have one in your blogger profile so I can contact you. I appreciate your visit! (I've had to turn off allowing anonymous comments due to spammers)