Sunday, November 12, 2006

Secret Garden Box Finished!

Yeah! I finally got this done while DH was out of town this weekend. I had a bit of trouble with my box - I painted per the instructions (substituting blue for the red paint) but when I started to sand it down after the top coat of camel, it started turning green - the blue paint underneath with the yellow-ish camel on top made it green. I didn't like that too much so I decided to paint on another coat of blue and make my box a weathered blue look. I also changed the top a bit and mounted the needlework like a panel instead of stretching it over the lid of the box, then I added a cording around it. I had intended to make my cording out of the varigated Needle Necessities I used to stitch the piece, but Needle Necessities floss is pre-cut into lengths that prevent you making cording out of it. Luckily I had some perle cotton that worked out fine. Here are 3 views of the box - click on them to enlarge the photos.







Yesterday I visited my LNS to pick up the latest BBD Loose Feathers design. Of course I did some shopping while I was there, I couldn't help myself! My LNS had a trunk show from Homespun Elegance, one of my favorite designers. Lovely lovely things for sure. I did see a really cute Thanksgiving stitch and I bought it - it's called "Delivering Plenty". Thanksgiving is one holiday where there aren't all that many cross-stitch designs available. I really like this one and I'm going to stitch like crazy to see if I can get it done in time for the holiday. I picked up a gorgeous frame while shopping as well so I can stretch and frame it myself temporarily for the holiday. Here's a picture of the pattern:



My LNS also had a smaller trunk show for Erica Michaels Designs - they do a lot of punchneedle and miniature knotted patterns. Now up to this point, I have successfully avoided punchneedle and knotted designs - I can't really add any more hobbies to my life. But some of these pieces were out of this world! They had a little round autumn-themed 'rug' that was to die for. Then I saw this miniature knotted ornament and it was all over - I could scan the pattern but the picture on it just does not do the piece justice. It reminded me of petit point in the amount of detail that showed. The 4" round ornament has a sand castle, waves, and ocean with a turtle, mermaid, etc. I was smitten. It's called "Seaside Roundabout" by Erica Michaels. You can do the pattern either in punchneedle or the miniature knotted version which I want to do. I've never done this before so I may have to do some practicing. I know doing french knots was never my favorite so even though the pattern has you do colonial knots it's still going to be a challenge.

11 comments:

  1. Your box looks beautiful! And in my opinion so much neater mounted like that too :)

    And that's a lovely new chart - I like those 'delivering' ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Secret Garden box is stunning! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your box turned out fantastic - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:18 AM

    Just beautiful! I love your color choice and the fabric inside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeanne, it's absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jeanne! This box turned out just beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful box! I absolutely love it, as well as the t-giving turkey. I'll have to look for that one. T-giving is my very favorite holiday, so I think it's a shame there isn't more stitchy stuff for it. I'm doing a little T'giving band sampler that's sort of stodgy--it's the best I could find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your box is gorgeous! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous7:51 AM

    Beautiful box! Inspiring for things to do. Greetings from France.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you finished your box. And I really like the coordinating reproduction fabric you used to line it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - I love hearing from other stitchers and crafters. If you have any questions be sure to leave an email address if you don't have one in your blogger profile so I can contact you. I appreciate your visit! (I've had to turn off allowing anonymous comments due to spammers)