Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Stitchin' & Sneezin'

Well it's spring here in Arizona and everything is blooming! Claritin and I are best friends and although everything is beautiful right now I'm looking a little forward to when the pollen dies down and I don't have a continuous sore throat and spend a half hour every morning clearing my head.

Things are moving along with my stitching. I passed the halfway point with Plymouth Sampler - woohoo! I think the second half will go faster as the stitching is not as solid as the first half and a little more interesting. Frankly, I was getting a bit tired of houses and windows. In case you're rusty on your Roman Numerals - MDCXX translates to 1620 which is the year the Mayflower set sail for America.
I sort of set aside Plymouth Sampler for a week or so and worked on With My Needle. I got 3 lines of the verse done but wasn't happy with the coverage of the silk. I'm really picky about coverage and hate when it looks 'sparse'. Mostly this happens with dark colors - I don't like when I can clearly see the X's for some reason. This doesn't happen on 40-ct but I'm using 36-ct so it makes a little difference. Anyway, I experimented with adding an additional half-stitch on top and it looked better so I went back over the 3 lines I had done. It is taking me longer to stitch now with the extra cross but I'm happier with the results so all is good. I'm getting anxious to finish the verse and get to the more enjoyable part of the lady and flowers.
I got back the two quilts I had sent off to be quilted. I tried a new person to do the longarm quilting and she did a great job. She did swirls on my nine-patch quilt which I really liked.

It's now on the guest bed and I need to go shopping to find some nice fabric to make a new bedskirt. Most of what I have seen in stores I don't like - they seem to be making them cheaper all the time and most often it's just straight fabric without any pleating or ruffling - it's like how cheap can we make it instead of how nice it looks. So I plan to make my own and some matching pillow shams when I get the time. The other quilt below was quilted in a beautiful variegated thread of pinks and yellows - perfect choice for these fabrics.

This quilt has joined the stack in the linen closet - I have no more room to hang quilts and we only have 2 beds in our house, but I keep making more quilts anyway! I really need to find a quilt ladder or a piece of furniture where I can display them.

Over the weekend I got out my French Alphabet Sampler and put in a few hours on it. I have so much guilt over this sampler - I don't really like the linen or the threads...and it's so big...but I spent a lot on the pattern ($45 was a lot for a pattern back in 2003) and the supplies so I feel obligated to finish it. The Gloriana thread fuzzes and leaves a little shadow of red fuzz on the fabric. It will get finished someday but no time soon!

As far as stashing - I've been stocking up on Carriage House Samplings patterns - so bummed to hear she is going to quit designing but when you look at the volume she has produced it's no wonder she needs a change. I already had many of her patterns but have been picking up some more here and there to make sure I get all the ones I want to stitch before they are unavailable. As I tell the husband - I'm actually SAVING money because later I'll have to pay high prices on eBay, right?

I'll leave you with some photos of our backyard in bloom. My dog Abby is always watching the pool vacuum - she thinks it's possessed. Hope spring is arriving soon to all of you as well - thank you so much for stopping by!


21 comments:

  1. I love your wip's! I am the same way with Gloriana threads. they are pretty but they shread very easily. i just subsitute it with Belle Soie or something else. :)
    I know what you mean, my sinuses are kicking my butt right now, if the wind would die down a bit it wuldn't be so bad. sigh..... but i will take this weather over our summers anyday. :) it will be here before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Plymouth Sampler! I must get that chart soon!

    I'm with you, the swirls on your quilt are fantastic! I love that look on a quilt that is full of squares. I saw a wonderful cabinet to display quilts in. It was about sofa table high and had a glass front. It was gorgeous with the exception that the wood was oak which would not work in my home. I'd like to find something to store quilts in that shows them off at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hear you about pollen, we're just starting the season here in Indiana, but the last two days my eyes have been gummy....I can't stand that. But it is pretty, so I'll live with it :)

    LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE your Plymouth sampler. Oh golly, I've never seen it before and now I've been dreaming of it since you started working on it. :)

    And you quilts are just gorgeous. One day, when I have a lot more time on my hands, I want to take up quilting. My MIL quilts by hand (piecing and quilting) and her quilts are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely LOVE that Plymouth Sampler! It may need to move closer to the top of my pile! LOVE it!! And the quilts look GREAT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the Plymouth Sampler! Love, love it! I always tell myself I'm going to stitch it, and then move it down the pile. The colors and fabric are just wonderful. I'm like you with the coverage on the linen. I'm so bad that I use two strands on 36 count. People say I'm nuts, but I do like that coverage.

    Love your quilts too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Plymouth Sampler and great to see your progress - only another half to go!!!
    Claritin will move to the front of our cupboard in about another month when Twin 2 and I will share a bottle so know how frustrating it gets . . .
    Your quilting is gorgeous and the colours really refreshing xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and I are both working on Plymouth Sampler, although you're ahead of me--I've got mine on hold. I love how it looks, but the huge blocks of color make me drag my feet about doing it. Now I feel inspired to get it out again. I like how you have your WIP photos arranged on your blog! The quilts are beautiful, but I'm avoiding getting back into quilting since my needlework would suffer. Happy spring and happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Stitching and quilting.
    I know just what you mean about Claritin being our best friend.
    Allergies are really acting up for is at my house here in Phoenix.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeanne,

    Plymouth Sampler is looking quite lovely - who is the designer for this one?

    AND I have to know, who is the designer for the Pride and Prejudice Neighborhood Sampler??? I LOVE Pride and Prejudice (have three copies of the book - how bad is that?).

    Hope your allergies clear up soon, that can't be any fun.

    Hugs,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear you about the allergies, you can always tell when spring arrives, LOL!

    I am sooo in love with your Plymouth Sampler!!! I really love it. Did I mention how much I love it???

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS. I totally forgot to mention how gorgeous your quilts are. I love those too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love how the Plymouth Sampler is coming along and With My Needle, both look good.

    Your quilts are really nice - I especially like the pastel colored one.

    Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I've mentioned before that I have the Plymouth sampler in my "close pile" meaning I always hope to work on it soon but just never get around to it - Glad to hear you think the 2nd half if less fill in - I have about all the "fill work" I can handle on the SL I am doing for my folks anniversary.

    Love your quilts - they are gorgeous and I feel your pain on Kathy's retirement announcement. Happy stitching - Mel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your WIPs look great! Your quilts--oh my gosh. STUNNING. I am getting the quilting bug again, I think. Beautiful work! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Both the samplers are looking lovely and the quilts are gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Jeanne, I do love your two projects. I will stitch the Plymouth sampler this year, too. Can't wait to start it.
    Your quilts are both so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your projects are wonderful Jeanne! With My Needle is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two lovely WIPs! I have With My Needle in my stash and it's one I will stitch some day as I just love it. Beautiful quilts too and enjoyed the pics of your backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, thank you for visiting my blog and your lovely comment:-)

    Both your samplers are lovley, beautiful colours, your quilts too!, you are a talented lady! and if you don't have room for any more send them over to me, lol, i can't sew to save my life!

    Have a good weekend..Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Plymouth Sampler looks great an wow it is dense with stiching! All of your WIPs look fantastic and those quilts! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely post Jeanne!
    Your Plymouth Sampler is beautiful, your quilts are stunning (love the turquoise one especially) and your garden looks a real treat.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - I love hearing from other stitchers and crafters. If you have any questions be sure to leave an email address if you don't have one in your blogger profile so I can contact you. I appreciate your visit! (I've had to turn off allowing anonymous comments due to spammers)