Monday, May 31, 2010

Some finishing work...........$$ saved!

Well I hope all of you are doing something fun and relaxing on this Memorial Day and taking a moment to remember all those who have served our country and the thousands who have lost their lives doing so.

Hard to believe it is almost June already! It's been a busy weekend for us getting together with friends etc....and DH and I are taking a trip back to the midwest in a few days to visit various relatives on both sides of our family. I'm hoping the recent heat wave there is over by the time we get there....I'm not good at handling humidity anymore! It's hot here in the southwest but very dry this time of year so as long as you are in some shade, the heat really isn't that bad.

Lately I've been pretty annoyed at the high cost of framing. I have 2 things still at my LNS I've been waiting for since early March, and another piece at a local framing shop near my home. I had gotten a coupon in the mail from the framing shop as I've had other things done there, so I figured I would take advantage of it. How do the rest of you feel about these coupons? I'm beginning to believe it's a huge scam - I think the craft stores as well as the framing stores (who have to compete with the craft stores) have all raised their prices in order to offer you "coupon savings". I took my "Peppermint Twist" to the framing store, and with mounting, the frame, 2 mats, museum glass, "labor", and taxes, the 50% off price was $215!!! Is this crazy or what? Now I admit I am picky about my framing.....and that comes from years of learning what I like, bearing the cost of redoing things I wasn't happy with, not liking the work certain stores did, etc. So for "special" pieces I am willing to pay to have it exactly like I want it, but I am outraged just the same!

With all this in mind, I recently went through my box of finished pieces waiting to be framed and reassessed the projects. I was able to pull out 5 things that really don't need to be framed - either they are things I can finish into something else, or I can use small ready-made frames and do the mounting myself. Some of them have been sitting rolled up in tissue paper for many years and it's crazy that I haven't finished them up by now.

Here's what I got done last week. This Thanksgiving banner I did not stitch myself - it was a from an exchange I did 3 or 4 years ago and was finished into a banner....I had been wanting to get it framed but instead I did a flat ornament-style finish that fits better where I want to hang it for November. It's about 6" wide and 11" long - I'm really happy with how it came out, I used some autumn-themed fabric on the back.

I made the flatfold below out of snowman I stitched many, many years ago. It was from a book by Alma Lynne. I always intended to stitch the companion snowman and frame the both of them ........I have abandoned that crazy thought LOL. I love how it came out....I even added some glittery snowflakes I found in my craft supplies. The good thing about being a stitcher as well as a quilter is that I usually never have to buy any fabric to finish things - the total cost of these projects came to about $2.00.... I had to buy some extra DMC in the same color to make the cording. (so take THAT, you framing stores!)


I'll see you all when I get back from vacation. I'm making progress on Plymouth Sampler and back to finally working on Quakers & Quilts and hopefully I'll have some good progress to share by then. Keep on stitching!

21 comments:

  1. I had no idea that the framing was going to cost that much. this makes me very worried for my CaHRH...I had better start saving. Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've done a beautiful job of finishing both projects. Nice way to save some serious money. I've not finished a stitching project yet but I'm not looking forward to the cost of framing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree totally Jeanne about framing costs. I have a gorgeous Mirabilia mermaid that my dad finished for me LAST YEAR that is still sitting waiting - I have framed many of his big Mirabilia pieces and it is always in the $200 - $300 range and i don't always get the exact frame I want b/c of cost. I agree that I am looking for other alternatives to framing but not being a finisher myself - that can run into a lot of money as well. Your clever finishing has worked out for you - those pieces are darling. Enjoy your vacation - Mel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you ... I think the craft stores raise the price give 50% or 60% off each week.

    My LNS that is now closed was the best and most inexpensive. Didn't know how good I had it until they were gone.

    Love your finishes, though....too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for figuring out how to finish a couple of items instead of framing them! You did a fabulous job with them! Framing costs are staggering, aren't they? I'm way backlogged on framing. Too expensive, as you say. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your wonderful finishes! I've decided to finish one of my stitcheries as a large hanging pinkeep (much like your flatfold) because I don't want to pay for an expensive frame :) I also snag square wood frames anytime I see them while thrifting to repurpose :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your finishes looks really pretty. I wish I could do as neat finishes as you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would be kind of upset that you have pieces waiting since March at your LNS. Why the delay?

    Since I'm just getting into framing I'm not sure how I feel about the coupons. I plan to order custom sized frames from our local craft store or online and do the framing myself. I think I will avoid mats since I'm not crazy about them anyway.

    Your finishes are adorable and look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your finishing is fantastic Jeanne. I have to agree about the price of framing and I think twice these days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmm, $215 for framing is a lot of money. I have no idea how much it would be here as I have never had anything framed professionally. But I think it's not any cheaper than where you live.
    Your two finishes look so great, a good alternate solution.

    ReplyDelete
  11. $215 WOW! I would want half a dozen framed for that cost but if it's any comfort to you it is the same here in England and I had a friend some years ago who took a course in framing so she could finish her stitches herself at cheaper prices. Your finishes are lovely and I think they make them more unique and personal than framing so look forward to seeing more soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your finishes. They turned out really cute.

    I agree with you on framing. Sometimes you don't mind spending $$ to have something framed but the prices can be very high and it takes so long!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the flatfold finish - both the stitching and the finishing...where did you learn to do that? I'd love to see the pattern or directions if you could direct me....beatiful WIP in the sidebar! Have a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello from the UK! Your finishing is gorgeous, my favourite is the Thanksgiving ornament, very pretty. I agree with you that I would only pay finishing prices for special items only. Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful finishes. I love the was hanging. I agree the cost of framing is quit scary. I have never gotten anything profesionaly framed.

    I would like to ask you who is 'Plymouth Sampler' by? It is a lovely desing

    Have a wonderful vacation and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty finishes! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice finishing! I have found that the coupons aren't really a savings, either, at least when I went to use them. I know others have saved a lot with them. I've had the best results with using a full stitcher's card--the discount is 20%. Either way, it's $$$! Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great finishing, both pieces look lovely

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're right about those framing coupons being a scam! They are not worth it. I used to be a picture framer, your Peppermint Twist should not have cost you that at "50% off". Even with museum glass. Good job on your finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your finishing is superb!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - I love hearing from other stitchers and crafters. If you have any questions be sure to leave an email address if you don't have one in your blogger profile so I can contact you. I appreciate your visit! (I've had to turn off allowing anonymous comments due to spammers)